Hello Free Spirits,
As I leave 2016 behind me, I would like to take this time to reflect on all that I learned throughout last year. This year came with a lot of highs and lots of low points as well. But even if things were tough I like to believe that everything in life happens for a reason, whether it be positive or negative. Our purpose in life is to constantly evolve, and experiencing the good and bad is the best way to do that.
So here is a list of a few things I learned this year:
- Follow Your passions- Passions give your life a purpose, they are your calling. If something keeps you awake at night or if something fascinates you, just go with the flow of creativity. Following this passion will take you to wonderful places, you will meet wonderful people and you will inspire others. I started this blog by a random push of passion. I wanted to share my passion for travel with others in hopes to inspire others through it. Since then, I have met many wonderful people through blog events, met my friend and photographer, Hendrick Lau who is the man behind all my awesome photos. I landed an awesome collaboration with my favourite fashion brand and introduced me to a great platform visit.org. It’s crazy what you can achieve when you follow your passions.
- Fear is an illusion: Although this one is difficult to comprehend, I remember it was difficult for me to comprehend at first. But fear does not exist, it is something you create yourself. And you can stop it by changing your thinking.
- Family doesn’t always mean friendly: I had a crazy incident this year when visiting some family members. After experiencing bullying and emotional abuse from a few of them I decided after the visit to limit my contact with them. I blocked them on Facebook and decided I would not visit the individual again. There is no need to be around toxic family member(s) just because you have the family label. If you are suffering in silence because of how others are treating you, you have the choice and it is recommended you leave or ignore them. It was the best decision I made.
- Forgiveness is the only way to make peace after a conflict: There were a few incidences this year where I wanted to smack some people in the face for what they have done to me or others. But this type of anger and rage was draining me, I felt trapped and on edge all the time. Then I came across a few quotes on Instagram that spoke to the troubled side of me. It said To heal “I had to forgive others, send them love and move along.” I followed the advice and it was great, I felt more at ease! What also helped me is remembering that whatever others do is reflection of how they feel. So if someone treats you like crap, they are not happy with their life or some situation, or really they dislike themselves. They are having a hard time so leave them alone be kind to them but move along. Peace and Love works indeed.
- Ask the Universe and You Shall Receive: This is very new to me. When they say “everything happens for a reason” they re right and the statement “ask the universe and you shall receive”plays a role in it. Whatever intention you set whether it be on paper or in your subconscious is what you have the ability to achieve. I remember wishing I could talk to a person who knew about spirituality and then boom a few minutes later guess who was sitting beside me on the subway train? A cool psychic lady who answered a few of my questions and told me that she was going to some networking event even though she didn’t want to. She proceeded to tell me that the reason she had the push to go to this event was probably to meet me. How cool is that?!
- Have a Question any Question? Every person holds the answer to some thing you’ve been curious about. Every person has a puzzle piece to all your questions in the box of life. I remember hearing the news about what was going on in Turkey with the Coup and protest. I was curious to learn what was really going on, and I longed to find out. The next day I was on tour in Quebec and guess who was sitting beside me. A group of students from Turkey! I asked a few of them what was going on in Turkey and I got all my questions answered. The lady who was sitting beside me was also a food engineer back in Turkey so we had a nice long chat and I learned so much that day!
Life is an adventure and it is exciting to see what I will learn in the new year! Although I believe that time in non-linear celebrating a new year to me is just another day. Everyday is a chance to improve your life and be a better person. I would love to hear what you learned this new year! Feel free to share your stories in the comments.
Happy New Year and I wish you all the best this year!